Tuesday, January 17, 2012

What should I do?

Hello my dear readers! (I hope there are any:)

Today´s topic (and also my challenge) would be something more serious (I think): procrastination.

Do you know, what it is? Maybe you don´t know this word, but I think that most of you personaly know it in your everyday life. Wikipedia says this about that:

In psychology, procrastination refers to the act of replacing high-priority or important actions with tasks of lower priority, and thus putting off important tasks to a later time. Traditionally, procrastination has been associated with perfectionism, a tendency to negatively evaluate outcomes and one's own performance, intense fear and avoidance of evaluation of one's abilities by others, heightened social self-consciousness and anxiety, recurrent low mood, and "workaholism". 


Sounds familiar?




I hate it so much! I think there are two main stories. First it that you have to do something you really don´t like or enjoy and you postpone it over and over again till the last possible time (and sometimes over that deadline "You know, boss, I had too much work to do"). Second, and this is my usual problem, you have to do something really difficult or importand or long-lasting. That issue needs really big effort, a lot of time, lots of coffee and maybe you are afraid you can do it. You don´t believe in yourself enough and think that there are too high expectations on your outcome. So you are whole night and days thinking about it, about the best way how to do it, you are considering every possibilities and that, you don´t have enough time to realize it. You should have enough time, but instead of working on your task you have to go shopping, clean windows, wash the dishes etc. Than you really do your task in hurry, it is not as good as it could be and your are not satisfied, even your boss or anybody isn´t. And what is really important, you expectations that you can´t do it well and you just disappoint anybody are fullfilled. Does it sound familier?

Hovewer this is not a real issue! You can get it, you can get rid of this ugly habbit, this procrastination and be satisfied with yourself and your result. Do you believe me?

I used to study sociology at the university and I am really interested in psychology. Few years ago I was one of couple of respondets in procratination research at our university. It was really a good opportunity to learn a lot about a topic and also get some advice. For a month I had to keep a diary, something like really detail and specific schedule of my everyday  life. It is really great tool how to find your problem: usually you have too much work to or you underestimate time you will need. It is impossible to bake a cake in ten minutes and buy all of christmas presents in one day (in some cases yes:).

It is really important estimate time what you need to do your task and of course keep any reserve. This is really better way have any extra time, because if you will finish the task earlier, you will be really happy to have some time for anything you want, for some break or some small project you haven´t got enough time yet.

Second really important point of this method is to do just one think at one time. This is the hardest think I´ve ever tried, you know watching some film, writing post for blog, drinking coffee and eating dinner and whatever else in one time is absolutely usual. Hovewer if you are doing so much things in one time, you are not doing anything properly.

The best way how to get it is to do weekly schedules of everything important you  want to do during week. Not everything, just things you know you have to do in exact time and you want to do. You should set some time frame for this task and is really important to follow it. And if you have some really hard task which should take a few hours, divide it into small time periods, like an hour. Hovewer try to do just this task in this hour, not anything else.

So try it and tell me your opinion about this topic. So my todays challenge is:

ORGANIZE YOUR TIME/ ORGANIZE YOU LIFE

I will make timeplan for everyweek, one for work and one for afterwork free time, because I want to do really lot of things but never do almost anything:(

So, I am really excited about this challenge, tomorrow I will buy some nice notebook and write down everythig. Do you want see my timeplan? I will really appriciate you will help me and share your thougs with me, so let mi no and I can do this in electronic notebook page:)

So see U tommorow! B.

P.S. Today morning I had amazing breakfast and really much more energy for whole day, I love it and I believe I can keep this nice habbit for everyday life!

No comments:

Post a Comment